Oral Cancer Screening
What is Oral Cancer?
The reality is that Oral cancer can occur in and affect any part of a person’s mouth. In most cases, the cancer originates in a specific region such as the lips, cheeks, or gums. It is important to know, that if left untreated the cancer can quickly spread to other areas in the mouth.
Why be concerned?
- This year, almost 42,000 Americans will be diagnosed with oral and throat cancers.
- Of those, over 12,000 will die—the equivalent of one death every 45 minutes.
- The death rate in the United States for oral cancer is higher than that of cervical cancer, Hodgkin’s disease, cancer of the brain, liver, testes, kidney, or ovary.
- Of those diagnosed, only slightly more than 64 percent is the 5-year survival rate.
- The mortality rate associated with oral cancer has not improved significantly in the last 40 years.
The good news:
- Oral cancer is one of the most curable forms of cancer when it’s caught early
- When the cancer is detected and treated early, treatment-related health problems are reduced
- Dr. Booth has the latest Vizilite Plus technology that allows for the smallest unusual cell growth to be detected
- This critical early detection, can lead to a treatment protocol that can stop the cells before they grow into larger tumors
- The screening process is painless and fast
- Your Vizilite Plus oral cancer screening can be combined with your regular dental exam
- In a consultation with Dr. Booth your risk factors can be assessed and recommendations can be made
- Peace of mind – At the conclusion of a ViziLite Plus exam, following a standard visual exam, you can be rest assured that you have received the most comprehensive oral cancer screening available today
Signs and symptoms of Oral Cancer:
As is true of most cancers, oral cancer does not tend to produce notable symptoms in its early stages. It is important to note though, that with the use of cutting edge technology Dr. Booth can still tell if something is wrong. If you smoke, drink alcohol excessively, or are HPV positive, you are more prone to oral cancer.
There following are some of the signs and symptoms that people experience with Oral Cancer:
- A lump or thickening in the oral soft tissue
- Red or white patches on the tongue, lips or internal lining of the mouth
- An unexplained pain, numbness or loss of feeling anywhere in the mouth, neck or on the face
- Oral ulcers and sores
- Ear pain
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- Lingering sore throat or hoarseness
- Painful swallowing
- Loose teeth
- Difficulty moving the tongue or jaw
- A swelling of the jaw that causes dentures to fit poorly or become uncomfortable
- Neck pain
If you notice one or more of these symptoms, be sure to contact Silver Screen Dental immediately.